Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Mr & Mrs Durrant Goes To Washington

It has been quite fun watching the coverage of President Obamas inauguration and being able to say with Brian I've been there...remember when we were there? It has been fum to reminisce about our trip we took to D.C. last April for David and Vanessa wedding. It was the BEST trip. EVERYONE needs to put the Nations Capitol on their MUST places to visit. This amazing! Full of history and awe. I didn't know quite what to expect...but it was FAR more inspiring than I had ever thought it would be.

So I thought I would share a few photos of our trip. This is just a taste of what we saw and did. It would take me a week or so to blog about. In fact we still didn't see everything we wanted to and are planning a return trip with our kids...when they are a little bit older of course.


The Capitol Building. President Oboma will take the Oath of office today on those steps.

The reflecting pool in front of the Capitol Building. What a gentleman Brian was to LUG my big old purse all over Washington!


Statue in front of the Capital. I forget who the guy on the horse is. I know he is someone important. But there was just too much to remember.











The thing with Washington D.C. being so old, for at least U.S. standards, is that there are all these little gems hidden throughout the city. This is actually what I guess you would call a little courtyard out on the lawn of the Capitol.

It had little benches and a drinking fountain. Behind that little window There is a little waterfall. I couldn't even imagine what great Statesmen have come here take a little break and relax a bit.


Drinking Fountain Outside the Capital Building. No I did NOT drink out of it. Although it was working.


This was by far my most absolutely FAVORTIE building. The Library of Congress. I wonder how you get a Library card. Trust me these pictures do not give it justice. This is the most Beautiful building I have ever seen.


Look at that marble Staircase and pillars

The HAND painted walls and stained glass window were truly breathtaking.


Gorgeous!



Monuments Everywhere! Here is the Jefferson Memorial. All of the monuments and buildings for that fact, are massive.


Thomas Jefferson. They had just gotten trough Celebrating his Birthday a couple days before. That is why you see those wreaths there at the base.


We Stayed at the Gorgeous Mayflower Hotel. Most recently made famous for the Hotel Governor Spitzer used to entertain of be entertained by his high end call girls. Hmmm I wondered why Brian chose this hotel.

Here's Brian hanging outside our Hotel waiting for my LOST luggage. Here's a little funny. Upon arriving to our hotel and unloading the car we realized that we had lost MY luggage somewhere between here and the Airport. Called the Airport to see if it was left on the curb...it wasn't there. Called the Hotel where we had just drop off Craig and Crystalee...wasn't there. So As soon as we checked in our hotel we headed across the street to buy me some new clothes and ALL that other stuff. Wahoo! However when I was in the dressing room Craig calls and tells us that someone had found my luggage. I guess when they unloaded the their luggage they had to take mine out to get to there's. Well apparently they drove off leaving mine on the curb. They said they were going to put my luggage in a cab and send it over to me. Boy were we surprised when a limo pulled up to deliver my luggage. The driver said I'm not sure how much to charge. I haven't ever just given luggage a ride. We ended up paying him $50! Too bad I missed out on getting a whole new wardrobe. However I was glad to get my luggage back. What a fun way to start out vacation. We just laughed about it. Brian Couldn't believe hoe calm I was being over the whole ordeal. Hey what could we do?

Brian was so funny. He was so excited to be running into Senators and such in Washington. He knew who everyone was. I think he was a little star struck. While walking to our Hotel we ended up standing on the curb with George Steffanopolas(sp) I have know Idea how to spell his name. Brian's all under his breath saying "Do you know who that is?" "Yeah Yeah Brian I know". Brian was so excited and went and stood RIGHT next to him. And as soon as George got in his cab. Brian stepped off the curb and snap a photo. What a geek! Now George probably thinks he has some stalker after him.


Lincoln Memorial - It's HUGE!

The New Obama residence
Brian was absolutely fascinated with the White House. We went back a couple of times.

He was really concerned about the Security! He didn't think it was Adequate LOL!

Brian wanted to talk to George Bush about his concerns. Some contractors showed up to set up for something on the White House lawn. Brian thought that maybe he could just sneak in with them. Actually he is on his phone talking to his work. Can I just tell you how much I HATE BlackBerrys. You can never get away.


Brian STILL trying to find George.



This was cool to see. The Tomb of the Unknown.


Even though I have just hit the tip of the iceberg, I have to go now. We loved our trip to DC and I had sooo much fun just spending time with my hubby!

4 comments:

Beau and Jen said...

WOW! I'm totally jealous! My hubby really wants to go back there... he loves history! It looks so interesting! Thanks for sharing!

David & Vanessa said...

We loved seeing you guys where home is for me! Isn't D.C. awesome? I loved growing up just 8 miles outside of d.c. It's not something I ever take for granted. Too bad I can't convince David of moving to Georgetown.

Please come and visit us in Richmond! It also has great history!

Mel said...

I grew up just 45 min. out of DC and I think I took it for granted!!! I have been there so many times but it is so beautiful! I got to go see the fireworks in DC one 4th of July, that was memoriable! What a fun trip!

Nate and Liz said...

My mom and dad (Allen and Pam for those of you who don't know) took about a million pictures when they where there. They said everyone should go at some point because it is so cool. Thanks for sharing your pictures. They are really nice.